Q. What Are Executive Doctoral Degrees?
- Executive doctoral degrees are terminal, doctoral degrees that are designed for working professionals. The research approach for an executive doctoral program that focuses on topics at the intersection of theory and contemporary business issues.
- A doctoral program that specifically designed for executives. Executives are senior managers, who already are successful in their business jobs and who are interested in doing research and earning a doctoral degree.
Q. Why develop an EDBA program?
The establishment of our exclusive and unique Swiss Executive DBA within a year program is the result of three key observations:
- There is an unmet international demand for executives with an BBA,EBBA or equivalent qualification and significant professional experience, who wish to build on their experience through the preparation of high-level piece of written work, recognized in the form of an Executive Doctorate in Business Administration.
- Secondly, Universities and Business Schools find it difficult to satisfy this demand because of the standards they have to meet.
- Finally, high-level international professors are very interested in supervising the work of executives, CEOs, GMs, Directors with significant professional expertise and experience.
Q. What is the difference between the Swiss Executive DBA run by the SGSB Business School and an Executive DBA run by another doctoral Business school?
The SGSB Business School’s EDBA program has three distinguishing features:
- The SGSB Business School exclusively systematized and structured to support participants who are motivated with executive-level professional position, more than 10 years working experiences to earn their EMBA degree, executive certificates and at last EDBA degree, even though they are holding their last educational background of Bachelor, BBA degree only.
- Participants enroll to submit a high-quality thesis defended before an international panel of examiners, and not only to attend research seminars or obtain an award.
- The high number of outstanding professors on our Faculty team guarantees that the student will find a thesis supervisor who has expertise in their research topic and who is able to commit sufficient time to accompanying the process.
Q. What are Motivations of Executive DBA applicants?
Executive DBA applicants are generally driven by two kinds of motivation:
- A personal motivation. They want to take a step back from their professional practice and experience, to achieve both intellectual and personal fulfilment by accomplishing a high-level piece of doctoral level work with a view to it being published.
- A professional motivation. They want to use the Executive DBA as a way to stand out. At a time when MBAs are becoming commonplace, particularly in the North American context, having an Executive DBA qualification enables you to stand out one’s own company or organization and more generally in the employment market. The Executive DBA can thus make an important contribution to the professional development of managers.
These two types of motivation are not incompatible and each individual applicant combines them according to their profile, career ambitions and professional situation. The interviews carried out to select candidates for the Executive DBA show that there is a balance between personal and professional motivations, only professional motivations dominate.
Q. Who is the Executive DBA for?
- Executives with an MBA and equivalent, or at least educational level of Bachelor, BBA, EBBA with significant experience (more than 10 years) in a company or organization, who wish to take a step back from their experience, enhance this experience through self-reflection based on the reading of academic books and articles, produce a high-level piece of academic work (thesis) that is of publishable quality.
Q. What are the differences between a PhD, a DBA and an Executive DBA?
- A university PhD is an academically-oriented qualification recognized by the State in which the institution is located, and which qualifies the holder for an academic career. The traditional PhD focuses on conceptual aspects and little on the managerial dimension.
- A DBA is a program delivered by universities for practicing managers who wish to take a step back from their business or management practice and submit a thesis that also has managerial impact.
- The Executive DBA, as designed by the professors at Business Science Institute, is a course designed for managers who continue working and wish to write a thesis based on two key elements: their managerial experience and academic research-based thinking. The managerial orientation is fundamental in this case.
Q. What title will I be able to add to my business card if I successfully complete my thesis?
- Executive Doctorate in Business Administration – EDBA.
- And you also will earn Executive Master of Business Administration – EMBA degree diploma from the SGSB Business School through this exclusive program.
Q. What happens if I haven’t finished writing up my thesis by the end of the third semester?
- You can extend the enrolment period, although you will then be required to re-enroll and pay the associated fees as the Re-enrolment fee: CHF. 2,000.
- If you do not re-enroll, you will receive a Certificate of EDBA, and a Certificate of EMBA without transcripts, instead of EMBA and EDBA degree diplomas with a Swiss notary seals and signature on your degree diplomas.